Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: I'll show you mine if you show me yours...
Who has the best tool? [7 vote(s)]

PowerStroker
57.1%
Rex
42.9%


FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours...


PowerStroker's socket set:








Scrot was telling me my tools were impressive. 

Hey Rex, why don't you whip yours out and show us to compare?



__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Man have I ever got you beat!

I actually have three tool boxes, but Ill take a photo of the two that I work out of.
I have many more sockets than you PowerStroker. Shit I have tool boxes that just house my doublers and tripplers!

I think you are going to be shocked. But Ill let you squirm for a little while.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

Cheap Taiwan sockets don't count Rex, and neither do your Daddy's tools.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Thats pretty funny PowerStroker, considering I see an awful lot of China sockets in your tool box.

You should also know that many of my daddies sockets were mine from back in the day when I decided to sell cars for a brief moment. At the time I was more interested in wearing a suit than anything. That was about the same time I landed the labor opperations job for GM at the cadillac dealer.

I dont take photos of my tools on a regular bassis, too busy taking photos of the vehicles I work on, but since you have already shown me yours, Ill have to show you mine. Course all mine wouldnt fit into just ONE drawer, so ill have to take many photos.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

Ain't no china sockets in my box.  Snap On, and Mac, with a hint of Matco, and a pinch of Craftsman.  I have more at home, but I only showed the set I use professionally.

Now that I think of it though, you may actually have more sockets because you use them for more than just nuts and bolts.  Seal drivers, wheel weights, and press adapters actually are a separate thing in my shop, we don't use sockets for those purposes.  biggrin

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

SELLC wrote:

Thats pretty funny PowerStroker, considering I see an awful lot of China sockets in your tool box.

You should also know that many of my daddies sockets were mine from back in the day when I decided to sell cars for a brief moment. At the time I was more interested in wearing a suit than anything. That was about the same time I landed the labor opperations job for GM at the cadillac dealer.

I dont take photos of my tools on a regular bassis, too busy taking photos of the vehicles I work on, but since you have already shown me yours, Ill have to show you mine. Course all mine wouldnt fit into just ONE drawer, so ill have to take many photos.



Cool... some of us are too busy FIXING the vehicles we work on... But what the fuck do I know, right, homeboy?

Far as we know, your daddy only ever had his eye on one of yoiur sockets....

 



__________________


Senior Guest

Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Date:

We're still waiting for pictures of your seal dri - I mean socket set there sellc

by the way, nice job on the turbo refund deal, how's your truck coming anyways?

-- Edited by Scrot on Sunday 20th of December 2009 01:17:02 PM

__________________

Ford ASSET Graduate and technician

Powerstroker's former apprentice

No "mandatory vacations" yet



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

If I had a dollar for every guy with a battle ship Snap-On tool box who thought the tool box defined their skill, well, I would have enough money to buy one myself.

I know you guys are biting at the bit to see my tools but I been real busy and have not had much time to play in the weeks running up to Christmas. 

I hope everyone has a great holiday, and Ill let you all "think" PowerStroker has the most tools over the holiday too! That will be my Christmas gift to PowerStroker.

While were on the topic, if anyone is looking for any last minute gift ideas for me, a nice set of decorative gold inlaid snap-on wrenches would look good on my desk. LOL

Have a good one guys! 

  



-- Edited by SELLC on Thursday 24th of December 2009 03:31:06 PM

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Back pedalling... seems to be a way of life for some.

Words of advice... lose the attitude and you will find more info, inside tips and help than you could imagine...   Don't worry.... it wont be from me because you are sure I am an idiot... You are free to think that.... sitting there in your daddies garage... and he hasn't hired you in his store...

You might believe that I coudn't fix a sandwich.. to your chagrin, I remain employed.

You aren't much different from me in some respects. You were caught in the pinch of a recession.. just as I was... I have burdens you wouldn't want and you have burdens I wont allow myself to have.

I should post pics of my toolbox... it would give you something to laugh at... until you realize that people borrow my tools.. I don't borrow theirs.

Your impression of me means nothing to me... My customer is my judge... It is through his satisfaction that I will succeed.. your disapproval wont change that.

You are looking for a 6.0 long block... if you replace enough parts all at once, one of them is bound to be the right part.... you hope...


You are an amazing cat... and I don't mean that in agood way no

If you wake up... smell the coffee...
But that's up to you.



__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Ill have you know that I must allow people to use my tools as well. I never really got into them battleship size tool boxes because they were a pain in the ass to move. Some of them you would damn near need a flat-bed wrecker just to move.

My socket drawer is not quite as big as PowerStrokers, but I have 5 drawers FULL of sockets not including the top of my box where I keep the most used ones. Maybe Ill find some time to snap some photos this week. 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

I'm still shaking in my little mechanic boots, fearfully awaiting pictures of Rex's high quality and well organized socket set for me to choke on.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Oh PowerStroker.........

Much like the Republicans gave Obama rope... I too gave you some rope in here as well.

Try not to hang yourself when you see these photos. Also keep in mind that I have 3 other tool boxes STUFFED with sockets alone that I'm not even going to waste my time pulling out. I have you beat.

Also take note that all these tools, and the boxes they reside in are PAID IN FULL, as with all of my other equipment... Yeah I said it... Equipment... Something dealer rats borrow from their dealer such as bench grinders, torches, welders, spring compressor, Jacks, Stands, and you get the picture.

Once again PowerStroker... Paid for is the key word. If you really want to feel bad I can also show you photos of my vast drill bit and carbide burs for head porting, and all my diffrent paper roll attachements for polishing them. Or how about all my instruments for measuring run out, digital calipers and 5 count them 5 engine stands, cherry picker.... Aw hell you aint got shit on me boy!

Come back and see me when your not fronting your dealers equipment financed by your local tool guy. (aka your shit is paid for). Did I mention my scanner does more than just Fords?



Attachments
__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:


Naw... We will just stop right here, unless you want to get in to my gas analizer, WIFI bench laptop, 100% access to mitchells on demand labor guides and tech info (once again this information is not limited to Fords).

Perhaps that not enough? Like to see my drawrs full of chanel locks, vise grips of every size and angle, snap ring pliers, torque wrenches, bearing press. How about air tools? Got more than one of each 1/2 IR impact, 3/8 IR impact, two CP straight die grinders, two 90 degree, three air ratches. I wont even dig out the boxes of old school shit I been handed down thru the years? And do you want to see photos of veterans tools I have been informed to take possestion of should they cease to exist?

Truth is there aint much I cant fix with even the most BASIC 80 pc. tool set. Thats the diffrence between me and you PowerStroker... Im not a tit-fed dealer boy. I'm a street wrench with access to more information than yourself. Yeah I made a mistake in trusting people once or twice in a forum, and that was only because I was forced to by the know it all customer. In the end it was the same... I had to teach someone else how to work on a car.

I dont give a shit what kind of car you drive... If you got money, I got the time.



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Or maybe I should toss in this little fact...

If my car were to break down at 8pm on a Friday night I have access to my equipement. How about you PowerStroker?

Attachments
__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Oh I think I hurt PowerStrokers feelings....

This is what happens when people provoke others... They get their feelings hurt..
If this was any other forum you'd be crying to the Administrater that SELLC was attacking you. Then I'd have to tell all the other jealous idiots whom would chime in to fuck off as well....

At the end of the day, you know the drill... Ban that fucker!

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

How do you find anything in that fucking mess? FWIW.. the last thing you should brag about is visegrips and channellocks. These are very nearly the tools of the devil... I just replaced the drian plug on a 6.4 because a lube shop couldn't find a 3/4' or 19mm wrench (I suppose). While both of these tools come in handy for some tasks.... they aren't a real necessity.... (crescent wrenches are for bending metal... they are NOT for turning nuts and bolts).

Now.. as for tools... Our techs have the keys for the door.... your choice of which hoist that may be open or available after hours (plan it right and it will be the hoist in front of your toolbox... ). If you can't trust your techs... who can you trust?

The alignment rack... the IDSs... VMM... special tools... all there to be used.... FWIW, I encourage our guys to come to the shop in the evening and play with their toys.... My goal is to have them using SGM in the IDS and know how to use the VMM...

Oh... I forgot.... our 4 posters are 27000# capacity.



__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

You see your lack of appreciation shows your weak size Pogo... If you knew anything about anything Vice grips are used for holding core supports in when you weld them, they are very valuable. They also come in handy for holding things while you grind on them.

Where are you going with all this? I aint seen your tool box yet!

With regards to people coming into your dealer off the clock... Well most REAL SHOPS have insurance that does not look highly on that sort of thing. I dont know what sort of back woods dealer you work in Pogo, but I imagine there is a Cheers down the street and your often seen there well before 5'Oclock.

How's norm been doing Pogo?

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

PogoPossum wrote:

I just replaced the drian plug on a 6.4 because a lube shop couldn't find a 3/4' or 19mm wrench (I suppose).



Boy Pogo... You changed a drain plug on a 6.4 liter!? Did they let you change the filer as well? Do you replace a lot of drain plugs and filters Pogo? Com'on now, do you work in the fast lube lane at your dealer Pogo? LOL

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Ooooohh.... aren't we witty?

But... come to think of it, I do have many drain plugs changed... mostly because some dork has overtightened them or because some dork didn't gather up the correct wrench...

It figures that you would blame me since I am the guy that both discovered the concern and didn't hide the error... Like I said... I don't give a fuck what you think. Bobby Flay doesn't listen to burger flippers, does he?

If push is going to come to shove.... why, oh why would you work on an Aerostar (such an exotic vehicle) in a parking lot when you have a shop? I never saw that thread before... how enlightening...

And you have Mitchell on Demand??? WWWOOOOWWWW!!!! Be still my beating heart...

FWIW..... my job is "putting out fires". I direct diagnosis... I teach... I assist.... I do what is required... When it comes to customers... It is their trust I have... I don't take their trucks.

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Yeah... Yeah... Yeah...

It's been one of them days. Glad to see sarcasim isnt totally wasted on you.

I fixed that Aerostar for a woman in Detroit whom was driving around with no brakes and a van full of kids. The person taking the photo was pretty much trying to make fun of me by taking the photo. At the time I stored all my equipment in a storage unit until I got the building. At that time I was living in an apartment on the lake with no storage for such things. You do see that silver Ford Ranger in the background dont you? Yeah that was our truck.

I knew you were going to come back with some bullshit about that other truck. I know your just trying to get under my skin. We cant beat that horse much more.

As for PowerStroker he has a real nice box, I used to have one like that but I sold it to start my first business venture on my own. Still miss it to this day, but then again I am not having to keep up with the Jones' of the dealership. While YOU might have a key to your shop and up there things could be diffrent, however here in the City you lock your tool box at night. Janitors, customers, service writers are all examples of people crawling around the dealers well after the techs go home. I bet PowerStroker locks his box every night. If not we know he spent all day putting his sockets in order and took the photo because it would last longer.

I am pretty sure I have more tools than PowerStroker, but he has some pretty choice shit in there from what I can see. Looks like I have him beat on 1/4 drive sockets, ratchets and likley 3/8 drive as well. He does seem to have some bigger sockets however that is a given considering he works on HD trucks all day. Tools are a major expence for Mechanics. More so if your an independent.

P.S. Mitchells is a VERY GOOD automotive publications. I get dealer part numbers, cost, and pretty much everything you have access to but in digital form.



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

All of mine is paid for too Rex. When I went to School to earn a degree in Automotive Service... Yes there is actual formal training for this, I took out extra school loans to buy top of the line stuff at a discount on tool day. Since my school loans are paid off, so too are my tools.

At my home I have most of what you mentioned, except for a spring compressor. You have me beat there, since I have always worked for a place that had a really nice one I didn't buy my own.

My tools are always as organized as the picture shows, but you're right about access to them for my own vehicle. I really only have access when the dealer is open M-F 6:30-9pm Saturdays 7-4. It's ok though because I have 2 vehicles and usually they don't break down simultaneously. Plus my dealer has rental cars that I can "rent" for free if necessary.

Certainly your quantity of sockets is competitive, but the quality and organization leaves a little to be desired. My dealer also provides wifi, which is nice because my personal work laptop that runs IDS with my personal VCM can also be used in my downtime to check out the latest diagnostic info on this site ;)

Is that hoist in your garage, or your daddys???



__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

In picture 3 of your sockets toward the middle, there is one with a lug nut stuck in it.

You should call that customer back in to make sure they have all their nuts.

Next time use a 19mm instead of a 3/4

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

I might be reading this wrong... you sold tools to open a shop that needs tools to work?

When I opened my shop... I BOUGHT tools...

Come to think of it, you were changing brakes in a parking lot... you ARE working in Daddies garage.. At least I sold my business....

You are amazing... and that isn't in a good way...

It is because of guys with drawers full of channel locks and vise grips that we replace drain plugs...

Rex.... you are young and full of energy.... why wont your Daddy hire you?

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:
Certainly your quantity of sockets is competitive, but the quality and organization leaves a little to be desired. My dealer also provides wifi, which is nice because my personal work laptop that runs IDS with my personal VCM can also be used in my downtime to check out the latest diagnostic info on this site ;)

Is that hoist in your garage, or your daddys???


Quality and organazation? I think that the organazation of my tools is just fine. The tools I use the most are on the top of my box. The bottom drawer as I mentioned in the past is just for extra's I may use every once and awhile. Id ask you if the IDS and laptop are paid for, but you mentioned that the IDS isnt that expensive to buy anyway.

Yes that hoist in that garage is my dads, however I have owned SEVERAL HOIST in the past. 4 post and twin post. My tools reside in MY GARAGE and I can always fall back on daddys garage if I get jammed up.

I got a video I want to show you, it will prove that your coming up pretty short.


__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:

In picture 3 of your sockets toward the middle, there is one with a lug nut stuck in it.

You should call that customer back in to make sure they have all their nuts.

Next time use a 19mm instead of a 3/4



Actually you should know that a lot of the stainless steel capped lug nuts are notorious for getting condensation inside them, causing them to expand, thus the need to pound a socket on. It has nothing to do with 19mm and 3/4 and everything to do with getting it off. And yes, we have buckets of lug nuts, so the customer got a new/used one in good shape. Since you work for Fords you would know nothing of the GM lug nuts with SS caps.

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

PogoPossum wrote:

I might be reading this wrong... you sold tools to open a shop that needs tools to work?

When I opened my shop... I BOUGHT tools...

Come to think of it, you were changing brakes in a parking lot... you ARE working in Daddies garage.. At least I sold my business....

You are amazing... and that isn't in a good way...

It is because of guys with drawers full of channel locks and vise grips that we replace drain plugs...

Rex.... you are young and full of energy.... why wont your Daddy hire you?



No your not reading it wrong... I have owend 4 SHOP's in my time... I am all of 34 years old. As I have mentioned to you in the past Pogo, I dont plan on getting another shop until I or a business entity that I own has rights to the building and land.

I am amazing. It's not in a good way because it makes you look bad.

The work I do, you could NEVER compare. I am somewhat young and very full of energy. I do help my dad out at his shop from time to time but his shop is his shop. When he retires I may consider taking over.... If the building he rents is willing to sell the building. If not, I think I will just stick to buying some bare land and having the building built for my needs.

Pogo and PowerStroker.... Here is a video of my VERY FIRST shop that I owend ALL ON MY OWN.... With NO HELP FROM DADDY at the ripe old age of 19. Keep in mind everything was PAID for then... Just like now...



So you guys can all kiss my ass now... Thank you very much.

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

34 years old and you've been "out of business" four times???? And you think I am a poor businessman?

The video quality and sound are in the toilet... you don't have a "store".... you are renting a bay in a complex... what - $500 a month including the clapped out hoist? Making sparks for the camera... learned that from your favourite movie?

One of the things you realize when you mature is that you aren't as good as you thought you were... but you see the opportunity - you sieze it.... and you become as good as you can be....

I don't expect you'll understand that... at least not yet.

The first step is to stop being so fucking full of yourself. A long, long time ago, I was "Mister Independant Shop"... I learned that you can do many things half assed... or you can do a few things very, very well.... There is no "middle ground"...

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

I didnt go out of business 4 times you idiot! The last three were with Stellar Enterprise, and guess what? Were still Stellar Enterprise...

$500 month rent? GET A CLUE Pogo or move out of the ghetto! Around here $500 wont even get you a studio apartment let alone a business space. You need to wake up already.

Full of myself? Get a grip Pogo! I am responding to a thread titled "Ill show you mine if you show me yours".... So I am letting it all hang out. Since we have not seen any photos of yours, Im left to assume that your coming up short, as usual.

You claim to do your job well, but I have yet to see any proof of that.



-- Edited by SELLC on Friday 5th of February 2010 11:26:43 PM

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Well..... you are the guy that said "I have owend 4 SHOP's in my time".

On the other hand, I have owned my business but only rented the "shop"...

Some differences... I have rented what I call a "storefront". Unfortunately, these usually come with gas pumps and the need to have them sell gas and diesel and to hire people to do this for you. A "storefront", back in the early '90s, could cost you pver $4000 per month here in sunny Alberta....

One bay in a strip mall with a cheap two post hoist and a cheezy little air compressor isn't a "storefront" and would have a real problem being considered as a "real business" ...

You have "owend" four shops.... If any of them were successful, you would have only "owend" one. Indeed, if your last venture was viable, you wouldn't be in Daddies garage today.

You should give up what you're trying and go into selling used cars... Your overwhelming best quality is chutzpah.

I imagine that working in daddies garage (in an area zoned residential?) will be the fifth shop you have "owend"?

Damn.... I used to think I had failed my family... this little discourse actually makes me feel better... I sold out when it became obvious I couldn't devote the appropriate amount of time to my business....

OTOH, you simply close your doors when you find it convenient. I wonder how much you haven't claimed with IRS....

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Tell it to Walt Disney Pogo... My customers count on me to perform, and be there when they need me. They dont give a hoot if I have 10 bays or not, in fact they like that I only have two, better chances that I will be fixing their vehicle personally.

Owning a business isnt for everyone Pogo. I have commitments and responsibilities you could never live up to. People like you whom GIVE UP and run to the dealer because they cant hack their obligations is how customers get screwed.

You never did tell us why you went out of business Pogo? I know I have some stressful moments, and at times I feel overwhelmed, but thats just life for most people, isnt it? Whats important is that you see thru your obligations regardless what stands in the way. You figure out ways to make things happen and it has to be good or they will set it right back in your lap.

I am sure you would all like us to think of you as the guy who does no wrong, never has problems and runs a successful business... Only one problem.... YOURE WORKING FOR THE DEALER ASS WIPE.

Here is the trick Pogo...

Even if I wanted to just GIVE UP like you did, and run to the dealership, I would still have obligations to my customers that would prevent me from giving some other business my 100%. I dont plan to just QUIT because things like the Economy and Obama made life a little unpleasant. My customers keep me driving PAID FOR Mercedes, they thrill my intellect with request for customized engines pushing max HP, and they keep me scouring the earth for parts and parts vehicles. I do have my fair share of haters, but when you in business you have too look at them as opportunities otherwise folks like you would start to wear on me.

Truth is I cant get out. I have too many commitments. They wont let me run off to the dealership like I did back in 1995-1997 to wear suits and sell cars. It's just so much easier to sell the customer bullshit when you have sold yourself to the dealer. Isnt that right Pogo? Isnt that the reason you got out of business?



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

So people dont get the wrong idea, my Mercedes is over 20 years old. Has almost 200,000 miles on the body. It was put together from the scraps of the rich men whom originally purchased parts vehicles to fix their own. I have rebuilt it from nearly a bare shell so that we had a safe reliable vehicle. The same will hold true of our F250 in time.

While it was my skill that did the rebuilding, it's quite clear where I am going with this. We fix/restore vehicles that even the DEALERSHIP does not want to touch! I can count on ONE HAND the amount of shops in Michigan (my area) that work on Mercedes. The same goes for Ford Diesel trucks (Motor City is basiclly King around here). Performance work? Well you can go see Jack Rouch or Livernoise but thats about it. Even our local Performance shops have gone out of business (One of them owned by Livernoise).

When I brag about my car it's not because it's worth a lot of money. It's because it has been with our family long enough to become part of the family. My kids helped to install the engine and interior. They went with me to NYC to pick up a donor vehicle, we partied in Times Square. We have memories, our cars mean something to us. For three long years we had to look at our Mercedes SIT until we finally had all the parts collected. It was worth it. The people that feel this way about their vehicles are coming to see us. This includes people that buy brand new vehicles, however we just dont see them until the warranty runs out. Now what does that say about the dealership Pogo? 




__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

I just cant wait for the kids to grow up and be able to have their own cars. I can retire my Mercedes for special events and get back into the Performance groove on a personal level. You should also know that 20 year old Benz is a daily driver, it has been FAR MORE RELIABLE than that biscut F250 FoMoCo gave me that was 15 years newer. It's just a shame you dealer boys did such a pathetic job of maintaining my F250 during her warranty days. Had you guys known what the hell you were doing I might not have had to rebuild the whole damn truck.

Sorry but I dont need anything from the dealers but the parts/information they get from the manufature. You really pissed me off with your BS statements Pogo.

You of all people should know that owning your own business is not as easy as everyone thinks.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1437
Date:

REX STEALS TOOLS FROM AUTOZONE!!!!!!! AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHA

__________________

 

 



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

"GIVE UP"?

"RUN TO THE DEALERSHIP"?

Is this the guy looking for free advice on a consumer website? A guy that couldn't understand HEUI injectors?

Is this the guy that is out of a commercial shop and working in his daddies garage?

There are many reasons I'm where I am.... and I do not expect someone of your caliber to understand any of them... especially those pertaining to my wife... 40 years with Crohns diseaser and far braver than you.

You bailed out of your shop because your large customer base couldn't pay your rent?

Me? I'm about on the cutting edge of knowledge....

You? well..... you already know everything there is to know....

All hail mighty Rex.. The best advertising campaign the dealer ever had....

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

You see Pogo... We didnt bail out.

We didnt move out of our other building because we couldnt pay the rent. We moved out because of three reasons (1) We got stiffed on a loan to buy the building (2) A tender offer came in for our unit (3) We were tired of working in a multi-tennate building.

We were offered an even bigger unit and declined. With everything I have seen with the economy I do not regreat the move. When banks have problems cashing $17,000 checks that are written from their own branch, well thats just an indication it's better to downsize so you can live to fight another day.

You see Pogo, its not ALL a matter of Money for us. The kind of services we provide could not be purchased. You could have a million dollars but that wont fix the vehicles. Sure it will bring many punk mechanics like yourself whom claim to know what they are doing, but in the end they dont, leaving me to finish the job. So to answer your question Pogo, we have more problems finding people with the SKILL to work on our projects than we have finding people to pay for it.

You wouldnt know anything about it Pogo... Just keep up the good work at your local dealership. Never mind what we do, or the fact that we once trusted people whom claimed to be experts (such as yourself) and found out nothing could be further from the truth.



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

SELLC wrote:
we have more problems finding people with the SKILL to work on our projects than we have finding people to pay for it.


That's because the skilled people work at dealerships and would cringe at the idea of having you walk in and try to recruit them to work on your projects.

 



__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

I dont want you to take this the wrong way PowerStroker but the first word that comes to mind when someone tells me they are a dealer mechanic is "Pussy".

In fact most people will agree that dealer techs are students that could not handle the real world, thus went to the dealer to simulate that auto school environment, where the tool crib houses most of high dollar tools, and there is always someone around who can hold their hand when the shit gets complicated.

I dont goto the dealerships looking to recrute techs, that would be the last place I would look for a good mechanic. A good mechaic is one whom can handle working on many diffrent makes and models. A good mechanic can fix anything with wheels. 

You may do your job well PowerStroker, but I don't quite think you "Get it". I mean you know enough to put a 15mm socket on a 15mm bolt, but thats just half the battle. I think Pogo "Got it" at one time, but he has long since forgotten what it is that he "Had".

Someone once told me "I started this business with nothing, I still have most of it left". The rift between repair man and business man is often too great for the regular joe to handle.

Take this thread for example... It's quite clear to see that you are trying to broacast and image that the tools make the mechanic. I let you live that little dream awhile before I popped the bubble. Your little hand tools and $1000 scanner are nothing when you factor in the BIG tools needed for you to perform your job. Dont feel bad PowerStroker, these BIG tools keep lots of guys like yourself at the dealer.

 

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

For a guy that appears to have as much trouble as you do - you certainly seem to be pretty full of yourself. You are welcome to your presumptiuons regarding dealer techs... we both live in free countries, after all...

You don't appear to have regular employees (makes it difficult to consider you as a "businessman"). You enjoy  insulting those that could help you the most... again... your choice and your freedom... And you are the guy that pulled the fenders off his truck to work on the motor...

Here I am... heap on the insults... it doesn't bother me because I am confident in my abilities. OTOH, insulting me seems to build your confidence... so be it... This "pussy" learns a lot from Ford sponsored training courses... Stuff thatv you are going to charge your customer to learn...

If you think the reaoning behind the HEUI injection system was tough, wait till you see what is coming your way....

A hint... for 2010 the headlight switch doesn't turn on the headlights... it sends a request for a module to turn on the headlights... Another hint... think MOS-FETs (metal oxide semiconductor - field effect transistor).. the SJB can remember an over-amp condition and will not turn a circuit on... not because a fault exists but because a code is present.

Us pussies know this... you wankers will charge your customer hundreds of dollars because you don't...

One of these days, you will realize that we should all be on the same side... excellence in service... what you don't realize is that product knowledge is a major consideration...

C'mon, Rex... insult the fuck out of me.. it makes you feel "manly"...

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

PogoPossum wrote:

You enjoy  insulting those that could help you the most...



Hey Pogo... You know I have had a little bit of a problem child job that I posted up in the Chevy forum. Has to do with a code P1345 on a 350 Vortech engine. I didnt see you anywhere near that thread!

http://autotrend.activeboard.com/index.spark?aBID=91042&p=3&topicID=34041185

Oh wait... I forgot.. You cant work on anything unless its a Ford.. You are limited in your skill. Oh well, better luck next time right?

I think were all big boys in here Pogo... You can take what you dish out right? So whats the problem?

If you think I am insulting you by setting your words back in your lap, then quit making bullshit statements.


__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Here is something you might consider... each of us has an area of expertise...

I have defined mine... and, while you might object... mine is quite diverse even though I have chosen... CHOSEN to limit  myself to a particular product line.

Anyway... here you are - ONCE AGAIN!!! Begging someone to e-mail you a magic bullet...

I haven't responded to the thread because I am busy working within my chosen specialty.. I am making honest money instead of hosing my customer over in a feeble attempt at "on the job training".

I am smart enough to say "my chances of making money on this job aren't good". I'll leave it to those better prepared... (and that, apparently, isn't you because you are begging for help).

Wake up!!!

I do not have the best scan tool for this job.... I do not have a great deal of familiarity with the system.... I have AllData and I distrust their information.

I don't need to take on chevy running concerns... I am busy enough working on those vehicles I am familiar with...

You take on things you don't fully understand (you are crying for help... right?) knowing that you will have to charge your customer for training you should already have...

On second thought... I'm going to stop here... The only reason I found you is because you were begging for help with a 6.0 Ford diesel...

And here you are... begging for help on a Chevrolet...

What are you going to beg for help on next? Mister fucking expert?




__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

Begging for help!? It's already fixed!

It was a bad battery and a computer mis-match. Apparently the check engine light has always been on, and our records indicate the same code when it originally come in kocking away. Even with the mis-match it would run fine, but its a good thing my scanner could retreve the computer information. It also has the ability to set the cam/crankshaft corelation, which if you knew what a P1345 was, you would understand. But hey, I guess you must have missed all them other manufactures in our header.

You dont have to get all hostle because you dont know. It's not like I asked you to pull the engine, overhaul and install it like I did. I just asked where you were back when I posted that thread, because its not new.

I just wonder how the hell you were able to get by as long as you did owning your own shop with such a closed mind. Did your shop only service Ford's or something?

Geeze.... I think we have gone from the buzz kicking in, to just flat out drunk. 

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8788
Date:

I moved this over here so we could have a more modern day comparison... 

PowerStroker has recently brought out the big guns by buying what can only be considered the "aircraft carrier" of tool boxes...

http://autotrend.activeboard.com/t63363347/we-want-to-see-that-new-tool-box/

In this thread above PowerStroker has made a pretty substantial investment, and as such I just can't bring myself to insult him after calling my hand and producing photos of his quite impressive acquisition! 

Meanwhile I have been investing in the more "beefy" equipment needed to be more than just a mechanic... Rather a shop owner. I feel more comfortable getting a little cocky in this thread... LOL

So here it goes, since our last little pissing contest, here is what I have acquired..

I'll see your aircraft carrier, PowerStroker, and raise you a Hoist, 120 gallon dual cylinder air compressor, tire balancer, tire machine, Brannick strut compressor, 20 ton shop press, and some recently acquired Point of Sale equipment (iPhone 7plus w/ Square merchant credit card processing with anywhere processing and INSTANT deposit of fund for - Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover). LOL

Next up on my list is forced air Heater and AC - HVAC unit, hydraulic pipe bender and Miller Mig welder. But this is just for my personal garage.. I don't want to have my projects and Mercedes / Corvette dabbling's to get in the way of hired help's making money because before, during or after that, I am aiming for a building with all new equipment, financed and not rented here in the Plymouth area... Providing I can get the 1/2 million dollar backing from the banks... Hoping this Trump confidence last for awhile given the fact I'll need a high 700's to low 800's credit score to even qualify... Currently in the mid 700's... But I'll admit, this paragraph is just me dreaming... 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3481
Date:

Yeah, you have a hoist at home and a bigger air compressor, Mine is a 60 gallon. So in some ways you are playing ball in the majors. Good Job!

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???

The America of John McCain has no need to be great again because America was always great. - @MeghanMcCain

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard