Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: 1989 F-250 4X4 loose steering


FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:
RE: 1989 F-250 4X4 loose steering


SELLC wrote:

PowerStroker, if you didnt do things outside of factory spec's then what the hell are you doing posting up photos of aftermarket eccentric cam bushings? 


I couldn't find a picture of the Ford OE bushings online.  Sometimes, as in the case of these you can actually use aftermarket parts to adjust things to factory specs, that's the whole point of having these bushings.  I never said I will refuse to use aftermarket parts...  If I can achieve OE specs with a less expensive aftermarket part I'm fine with that, especially when it's something as simple as an alignment bushing.  Generally when it comes to electronic parts though I prefer OE.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

WOW

A significant part of my paycheque comes from doing alignments....

Something that might be noteworthy is that I don't "imagine" the results of any particular angle change..... You guys can try to fuck each other over as best you can... but my bullshit detector is making it hard to read this thread.

Adjusting toe to compensate for a pull is about what we would expect from Rex... He IS the exspurtand he has a growing collection of vehicles to prove it.

What I see in this thread is a bunch of guys hoping that the "other guy" doesn't have a clue...

And it is right.... there is a whole bunch of guys... and none of them has a clue...

Wheel alignments are easy.... EASY. But first... you need to understand what you are working on... You don't


__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Hey Pogo... Isnt the ripe old age to retire just around the corner for you?

It must be true what they say... The older the dog... The meaner the dog.

I wouldnt be supprised if old Pogo has it in his last will and testimate that when he passes he would like to be placed in the old in-ground hoist hole at his dealer that was capped off when they upgraded their lifts. Is this true? Or just a rumor?





__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

^^^ Its just a damn shame Stoma lost his head earlier in that movie! ^^^

LOL! biggrin

-- Edited by SELLC on Saturday 27th of February 2010 01:40:33 AM

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

I wont pretend to understand what you are prattling on about... but, having seen how you operate, I imagine it will have little to do with the subject at hand...

Wheel alignment and suspension can be an exercise in geometry... The first considerations will be caster, camber and toe. Other things we will have to consider at some point or another are steering axis inclination and included angle. Lastly, if we are dealing with aftermarket components (wheels, spacers or dropped steering knuckles to name but a few), we may need to consider scrub radius.

Any of these angles can cause our alignment efforts to fall flat.... and there are few alignment mechanics that understand how these angles relate to each other... An alignment can be "in spec" and the truck will still be undriveable if the angles aren't considered as a "package".

FWIW... the aftermarket bushings allow for being installed in one of several positions.. The factory bushings are "keyed". Obviously, using the aftermarket bushings allows us to reduce our inventory without sacrificing any utility.

I'm a fussy old bastard.... and people love it....

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

jplinville wrote:

I just completed a COMPLETE PITA of a job...upper and lower ball joints, all u-joints on front axle, rotors and pads, bearings, seals, everything form the pitman arm out to the knuckles is new as well.  I've had the allignment adjusted 3 times in the last 2 weeks and it still floats.

I'm not afraid to tell you that I'm afraid to adjust the steering box, as I have been warned of breaking a worm gear. 

Now, I've never taken it apart before, os it you were to tell me that I'd break the seal to the dangle bearings just past the muffler u-joint coming out of the steering box, I'd believe you.

The truck is rolling on a new set of 33" BFG A/T, has 4:10 gears, 302, 5 speed, etc...

What is my next step?  the steering is still loose and floats and is driving me nuts!!



Yeah Pogo we are drifting off topic a little I guess, however the original complaint I have quoted above indicates that he was having problems prior to the replacement of all these parts and the problem still persist after having replaced just about everything.

Things such as an Alignment and Gear Box have been mentioned, however its damn hard to put your finger on the problem over the internet.

He is open with the fact he's not a mechanic, but is putting forth a good effort.

Just trying to keep it alive.


__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

SELLC wrote:

I think Scrot just got owned! The kid didnt even spend the time to read the article, and neither did PowerStroker!

It says, "Steering pull that created by road crown can SOMETIMES be corrected by adding positive caster to the left front wheel"

Do you know why they say SOMETIMES? It is because many vehicles have non-adjustable caster, and thus require the compensation to be made on the toe.

It also states that "to compensate for conditions a little toe-in or tow-out can be added when the wheels are aligned depending on weather the vehicle is front or rear wheel drive."

While camber would be the preffered method of controling road crown on an expensive vehicle with both front and rear toe, camber and caster adjustments, many vehicles such as the F Series truck and many others have what many consider to be non-adjustable caster. 

The manual does not call for ZERO toe. It calls for 1/32 toe in because of MANY diffrent things such as inherant slop in the combined steering componets, and also, road crown.

It's very rare that caster is included in an alignement package costing less than $120, therefore most folks will also use the toe to compensate for the road crown. 

I guess we could lay this issue to rest with PowerStroker offering us the part number for the shims that would be needed to adjust caster on a 1989 F150.

In this case and application I stick by my statments of using a little toe in to compensate for CONDITIONS, such as road crown. If the F150 had adjustable caster I would recommend PowerStrokers approach. As it stands, there are no adjustments for caster on a 1989 F150, unless of course PowerStroker or Scrot can provide them caster shim part numbers...

-- Edited by SELLC on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 12:07:04 AM



I went back through the thread and stopped short when I got to this post...

The man making these statements is dangerous... he is dangerous because he is sure of things that are NOT fact....

To begin with, the original poster is complaining about a "float" condition... This isn't real clear but some simple questions can change that. This could be as simple as "wander" or it could be "memory steer"...

Apparently, the truck has been on an alignment rack but the tech(s) involved are suspect.

Road crown will induce a pull (not a float - not a wander) a pull. We can use either caster or camber or a combination of the two to compensate for this pull.

But first, we need to consider some things....

Caster is a stability angle.... depending on the design of the front suspension, too much caster can induce a deathly wobble (ever get THAT shopping cart?). I'm surprised rex hasn't twigged on this since Mercedes has (in the past) had a high positive caster window - much higher than most vehicles. Caster doesn't not wear tires. Caster does pull to the side with the least positive setting.

Camber... Camber is a tire wearing angle.. too much (positive) or too little (negative) can result in a tire either wearing on the inner or outer edge...  Negative camber will help the outside front tire bite entering a corner - but too much camber (one way or the other) can be detrimental. Camber will pull to the side with the most positive setting.

Now... we must make it clear, at this point, that caster will trump camber... this is to say that 1/4 degree of caster change will offer roughly the same feel that 1/2 degree of camber change offers. Disclaimer.. different suspension systems respond differently to some of these changes... MacPherson strut front suspensions being the most forgiving.

Another consideration is for beam type front axles found on some 4X4 trucks... Large caster changes can displace the driving axle far enough that the dust shield on the axle tube can be damaged or rendered ineffective.

Toe in (not tow in... wiener) may or may not be a stability angle... but sure as shit it's a tire wearing angle. Toe out will help a car turn into a corner better ( race cars that have to turn corners will be adjusted to toe out). However... if the weight bias front to rear has a high rear axle loading, insufficient toe in can offer a truck that wanders. 1/4 inch of toe in is quite high for anything other than a heavy truck. 1/8th inch to 3/16ths inch is  closer to desirable though we choose to measure this angle in degrees these days... about 0.20 degrees being the preferred for <MOST> applications - rear wheel drive, that is.

You can adjust toe in all day... and it will not affect any road crown compensation.. but you can scrub a pair of tires of real quick if you fuck up.

Now.. the only thing that surprises me is that I have to try and explain shit this fucking basic to a man that says he is an expert.....

 



__________________


FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

What Rex, no response? If Pogo tells you you something you believe him, but If I tell you it gets argued till we're blue in the face?

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

I am sorry you feel that way PowerStroker...

Hey Pogo... You're full of $hit..

Do you feel better now PowerStroker?



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

SELLC wrote:

See nothing is impossible.... On vehicle without replaceable cam bushings to make Caster "Corrections" you could go as far as cutting the frame, radius arm or in a front wheel drive vehicle you could hog out the strut tower holes.

Also if you re-read this thread I addressed these "Other" adjustment ideas WAY BEFORE you even tried saying the Camber Cams were also used to adjust Caster, however I did say the radius arm correction required SHIMS... Shims that you still have failed to show us.


Cutting the frame eh?  Boy I want you to do my alignment... NOT.

I'm still waiting for YOU to show these radius arm shims to ME.  Any bonehead who tries to shim the radius arms in a stock suspension in order to correct caster on a 4x4 is a dumbass because that will change the front pinion angle and cause a driveline vibration in 4x4.

 



__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

Still waiting on those radius arm shims Rex... You know, the ones you claim are for adjusting caster on STOCK 4x4 suspensions without affecting pinion or spring perch angles.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

PowerStroker, just do a search on the internet for how to adjust caster on vehicles that dont have built in factory adjustments. A simple GOOGLE search is your friend.

What I have said is well documented several times over. Of course alot of these procedures are WAY OVER THE HEADS OF DEALERSHIP TECHS, thus the reason you cant seem to wrap your thick head around it.

The radius arm shims are also well covered on google as well. Hell just read your silly little AA1CAR website that you posted up in here, its covered in there as well. 

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:




Why dont you post a link or picture for me of the specific ones used
in an 89 F150 4x4?


-- Edited by PowerStroker on Sunday 7th of March 2010 06:52:07 PM

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Thats a nice little photo PowerStroker, however it is not accurate.

You really need to get a clue. You are so desprate to save face you are making cartoons! You should also realize that the area you have placed the shim IS NOT where its supposed to go.

Ill give you some more rope before I chime in with the link. Until then lets see some more cartoons.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Something I never cease to be amazed at... how many clueless people say <something> can't be done... Upper ball joint slugs still apply on both the 150 and the 250... Moog offered an offset radius arm bushing  in their probelm solver line that could be used to address obvious caster problems.

Somehow PowerStroker started looking at half tons... when he should be looking at leaf springs... And Rex thinks that wedges are the whoopy-dingle...

The original poster is stuck with a bad alignment shop and shitty advice.

Bottom line... caster itself isn't a big issue on these trucks... Caster SPLIT!!! (Sometimes referred to as cross-caster) Now we can talk...



__________________


FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

SELLC wrote:
 Of course alot of these procedures are WAY OVER THE HEADS OF DEALERSHIP TECHS, thus the reason you cant seem to wrap your thick head around it.


 Yeah, we dealer techs are a real dumb breed... Is that why you were looking through all of those web forums for some dealer techs to bail you out when you couldn't figure out the ICPR on your truck?



__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

In retrospect.... Power Stroker and I are wrestling with a pig... everyone gets dirty .... and the pig likes it...

Rex doesn't do alignments... has got an alignment rack and doesn't understand the dynamics involved...

In all honesty, many techs feel that alignments are "beneath" them... when, in fact, there is a lot of money to be made in a flat rate shop on the rack... But that is of little import.

Anyone can set suspension angles within the "window" that is the factory spec...

Understanding the inter-relationship of these angles... how one angle or another can affect handling... how other dynamics in steering and suspension can affect drivability... THIS is something different...

And Rex is depending on the internet to prove a point... ("I saw it on the internet... it MUST be the TRUTH!!") rather than relying on experience and the judgement and knowledge brought with it...

I performed my 1st alignment in 1971... looking back, it was nearly a disaster... Since then, I always seem to wind up involved in the operation of an alignment rack somehow... And I often perform alignments on vehicles that have been recently aligned... with happy customers in the end.

Go figure...

Dang... I forgot.... Rex tells me I'm not that good... Happily my customers don't agree...

So, Rex... go any ideas on Ackerman, scrub radius, SAI and included angle? C'mon, man... let us know what these are and how they pertain to life as we know it...

How about set back? What can rear toe do besides scrub off tires? YOOHOO!!!

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:
 Yeah, we dealer techs are a real dumb breed... Is that why you were looking through all of those web forums for some dealer techs to bail you out when you couldn't figure out the ICPR on your truck?

Keep telling yourself that PowerStroker, if it makes you feel better.

But it still wont change the fact you are wrong.

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

If I'm so wrong then why did you do the cowardly thing by deleting Stoma's "Michael Jordan" slam dunk post?

If you were truly convinced you are correct, there would have been no need for you to do that.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Stoma's slam dunk reply was deleted for the same reason I moved my own thread that listed all of you're famous quotes. It dont belong in vehicle forums. We have two forums where his off-topic thoughts are more than welcome. I think we can all respect that dont you?

If he was actually trying to argue a point that related to gaining automotive insight and in the heat of the debate blurted out what he did, then it would have been diffrent. As it stands he has never once posted in his entire membership here an informative automotive post.

It has nothing to do with who is right or who is wrong. Stoma would polute the entire forum with such post if allowed to do so.

If you rely on Stoma's provocation to validate you're points then you have just lost a lot of respect. I dont see why we need photos in a loose steering thread that has an arrow pointing to a basketball players crotch with the caption "Lick my scroat", but perhaps you think its somehow relevent? 






__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

I was wandering through my dealers parts dept and thought I'd snap a photo of the Caster/Camber bushings we keep in stock.





Lets see your assortment Rex.



-- Edited by PowerStroker on Saturday 13th of March 2010 05:52:13 PM

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Boy thats a whole lot of boxes for something you claimed was adjustable.

I dont specialize in alignments, so I dont stock boxes of cams and bushings. I find it interesting you wish to present you're dealership's stock as your own, however the stock on them shelfs are no more yours than the man on the moon's.

Given the fact you want to brag up your dealer, may I remind you that MY DEALER is MOTOR CITY, which stocks more parts than your rinky-dink dealer could ever fathem. They have boat loads of parts on the shelf and they are about 5 minutes from my facility. Should I ever need anything, just like you, I can run down there and have it.

Here is a photo of MY DEALER's part selection-



I am willing to BET that I have access to more parts on ANY GIVEN DAY than all of your dealers state-wide put together.

So, when you wish to brag up what YOU have in stock, come see me when it is truley yours.

-- Edited by SELLC on Saturday 13th of March 2010 07:12:14 PM

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

I should also mention that MY DEALERSHIP's parts counter is open until 11PM Monday-Friday, how about yours PowerStroker?

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

We're open till 9, but I go home at 4.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

I have a key at my disposal.... my parts department never closes.

So.. just what the fuck does that prove?

When it comes to wheel alignment, thus far, http://www.specprod.com/ these guys haven't disappointed me. We stock the stuff we use regularly and the other stuff is a phone call away.

When it comes to Rex blathering on about shit he doesn't know... If you don't do alignments... if you don't know what the significance of "most positive camber" or "least positive caster" type statements, then it is time to back up, sit down and shut the fuck up... Wheel alignment is as much art form as it is "connect the dots" auto repair. Like I said before... you can have a car where every adjustment is "inside the window"  and it will be fucking near undriveable.

Why? Because what you do to one side has to be relative to what you did to the other side.

Adjust toe in for road crown? No wonder you are working out of daddies garage...

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Pogo I never said I dont do alignments, what I said was I dont specialize in them. I fully understand the systems and I know how to use an alignment rack.

You best understand one thing, I was not the one that come in here asking for help! PowerStroker put his foot in his mouth by saying that Ford trucks of the year in question had Caster adjustments, when infact you must upgrade your cams in order to make it adjustable.

I have done many custom alignements on vehicle with raised and lowered suspension. I have installed caster/camber plates in fox chassis Mustangs to make their otherwise "NON-ADJUSTABLE" suspension "ADJUSTABLE". I dont have any problems doing an alignment and when its done the vehicle drives straight without pull.

Get a grip Pogo.

As for PowerStroker.... Well I am sure he will try telling people Fox body Mustangs have adjustable caster and camber also, but the truth is, they arent! Sure you can MAKE THEM ADJUSTABLE, but you need parts from the aftermarket. Look at the photos of this Mustang that I installed a disc brake conversion kit, camber/caster plates and lowing springs on, and YES I did the alignment and it drives straight as an arrow to this day without pull or tire wear. Well the back tires get worn down quick because it smokes the tires off the rims. Did I mention I also rebuilt this engine also?

Rookies... What a pain.

-- Edited by SELLC on Sunday 14th of March 2010 05:18:14 PM

Attachments
__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

SELLC wrote:
__________________________________________________________

As for PowerStroker.... Well I am sure he will try telling people Fox body Mustangs have adjustable caster and camber also, but the truth is, they arent! Sure you can MAKE THEM ADJUSTABLE, but you need parts from the aftermarket. Look at the photos of this Mustang that I installed a disc brake conversion kit, camber/caster plates and lowing springs on, and YES I did the alignment and it drives straight as an arrow to this day without pull or tire wear. Well the back tires get worn down quick because it smokes the tires off the rims. Did I mention I also rebuilt this engine also?

Rookies... What a pain.

-- Edited by SELLC on Sunday 14th of March 2010 05:18:14 PM

PowerStroker never claimed to be the worlds foremost authority on old Fox body Mustangs, so I'll take your word on that one Rex.

All PowerStroker said was you can't compensate for road crown with a toe adjustment.  I found a video of you doing a road test on one of your alignments and it looks like you could have used a little more positive caster on the RF of this truck:



 



-- Edited by PowerStroker on Sunday 14th of March 2010 09:51:16 PM

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

That video is a classic epoch fail. Sorry PowerStroker my truck is a black Ford.

PowerStroker I understand you were still powerstroke'n it to the JCPenny catalog back in the 80's but back then road crown was mentioned in part of the reason for the toe in setting on vehicles. As you know technoligy does improve over the years, however that wont change the fact that caster is not adjustable on a factory 89 Ford truck as discribed by the OP without replacing parts, just like the Mustang.

If you work for Fords and have no knowledge of their passenger cars, esp. the Mustang, you might be a red-neck.



-- Edited by SELLC on Monday 15th of March 2010 03:30:07 AM

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

It's not that I have no knowledge about old Ford passenger cars, it's that they're not my specialty, and as such I don't work on very many... Especially OLD ones like fox bodies. If something rolls in the dealer older than say 1999, I cringe and ask myself why the customer didn't bring this piece of shit so someone like Rex. Then I come on this site and understand exactly why they didn't. :)

I wont be working on much of anything until Friday as I'm 4 hours South of my dealer at the Des Moines community college taking my 6.7 Diesel Class.

I love road trips, especially when the dealer pays for them and sets me up in a nice hotel with a bar and a pool. I guess paid training is one of those spoon fed dealer tech things, but you know what, I'm lovin it.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

What a waste of money if you ask me. Ford dealer techs will still fail when the time comes to service the 6.7 liter, just like they did with the 6.0 and 6.4

This time around Ford's wont be able to point the finger at International, so it should be interesting a best. I am curious is anyone out there would even trust Ford's enough to give them $60K+ for one of their trucks after what happend with the 6.0 liter. The cat is out of the bag with regards to the need to lift the cab in order to service their engines and that is a big turn off to many would be buyers.

Maybe when Fords learns how to design their trucks to be serviced without having to pull the body off, then maybe people will start to buy them again.

I always find it amazing when people brag about staying in a hotel while off on business. Everyone knows its a lonely miserable existance being away from home in some flea bag hotel. I would imagine they would have to get you guys good and drunk in hopes that by the time class started in the morning you would all be hung over and too tired to question the ignorant systems they have implemented. Meanwhile your girlfriend is getting bent over and stuffed like the thanksgiving turkey by a real mechanic.

I am glad you are loving it PowerStroker. When you take a dip in that pool just remember that many of the kids whom also enjoy them pools also piss in them. That is why Hotel pools always smell heavy of clorene.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

That's ok Rex, Urine is sterile when it exits the body.  Speaking of Urea, did you know it's used to clean up emissions on the 6.7 Diesel?

So when are you going to have all of us over for a pool party at your place Rex?  You seem to embody both the qualities of Cartman at the beginning, and the monkey at the end of this clip.



-- Edited by PowerStroker on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 05:32:10 PM

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:

So when are you going to have all of us over for a pool party at your place Rex? 


I was thinking of having a big GTG at my place in July. I was going to invite people from here and BenzWorld.org.

Before I set a date I want to check into the cost of a few things-

(1) Bullet Proof Vest
(2) Security Detail
(3) Riot shelter
(4) Bullet Proof glass for my Mercedes
(5) Hired Rex A. Umney Stunt double.

 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

Well it would be too long a haul for me anyway, but Hillbilly and Larry are in your neck of the woods.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Well if thats the case I should double my beer estimates! LOL

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

You have tried to deflect this thread away from it's original intent... your discourse on installing aftermarket suspension components on Fox platform cars has to do with this subject??

You have yet to demonstrate any real knowledge regarding alignments... and now you have to scramble to remove any instances of using toe settings to alleviate pull.

What do you use for an alignment machine? Some advice.. now isn't a good time to bullshit. Installing an alignment device is half so good as making it work properly...

But what the fuck do I know... My customers get to keep their trucks....

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Now just hold your horses there old-timer...

It is you that have failed to demonstate any real knowledge or proof that you are what you say. You have shown no photos of your tools, you often times speak in riddles and rhyms that sound plagerized from a book.

Your customers may or may not be keeping their trucks. After you get done taking all their money it's quite possible they may fall short on their payments and loose it.
Dont talk down to me like it's my fault Ford had to change the engines in their SuperDuty trucks 4 times in a 10 year span. Dont you dare try and make it seem like it's my fault Ford took 20 years to figure out how to design their own Deisel, and most of all dont you dare assume that because a manufature has a poor design and the customer abuses said poor design its my fault for fixing it.

Spare me your higher than mighty attitude and just tell us all what you THINK your holding back.

PLEASE TELL US ALL WHAT IS WRONG WITH JP'S TRUCK!? YOU KNOW THE 1st THREAD ON PAGE 1!? Because really I have already explained to you and PowerStroker everything that is needed to know. If you feel that I have left something out, than just tell us. Dont be a prick, JUST DO IT! 

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

You haven't explained squat because you don't know squat. Adjust toe to compensate for a pull? Ain't gonna happen... If the original poster contacts me I will help him solve his problem...

If you climb down off your high horse, I will explain alignment angles and strategy to you... but you are so far out in left field that I'm not sure we couldn't reel you back in...

Go back to doing "pad slaps" in parking lots and leave real auto repair to the experts.

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Hey Pogo... Could you PLEASE link me to more than ONE post where as I have EVER asked for help with a car repair, either from you or ANYONE ELSE? And please dont bring up that thread on PowerStroke.org where as I asked questions, only to end up giving everyone else the answers. You do realize that every question I asked on that forum, I had to end up answering? I even posted up MANY photos to help others and that is part of the reason why they were reluctant to delete the thread. Once I yanked the photos/answeres, they yanked the thread. 

I don't need you to explain alignment angles. I am well aware and capable of doing an alignment. I am in this business to make a living and provide for my family. What happens in here is a mixture of advertisement, and my spending free time talking about what I enjoy doing.

I am well aware I can take a horse to water, but I can't make the horse drink it.



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

You set  the stage... you asked the questions... and you proudly proclaim that you found the answers... You said you have the "best manuals" that money can buy... when, in fact, you have been using the same "manuals" that most one man shops use... NONE.

As for your alignment expertise..Does this "It's very rare that caster is included in an alignement package costing less than $120, therefore most folks will also use the toe to compensate for the road crown" look familiar?

There is no way on Gods green earth that toe in will compensate for road crown... But you commited to the "fact"... and this proves that you have little understanding of alignment angles...

HEUI injectors blew you away.. I have no doubts that you have more surprises waiting for you...

You don't like me... and, for some strange reason, that makes me happy.

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Pogo, a great deal of vehicles have been produced without caster adjustments. Having said that, Ill let you figure out the rest. As stated before, most alignments under $100 will only include a toe adjustment.

Please explain to us WHY there is an 1/8 inch toe in on most vehicles. Please be sure to list ALL reasons why this is done. Dont leave anything out.

HEUI injectors blew me away? LOL, fat chance. Lack of maintanace, costs, poor design and non-payment is another story.

I never said I didn't like you. You provide a level of comedy that Stoma could never match. I also have no doubt that many surprises await me as the ever changing auto industry tries to re-invent the wheel.

__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Caster adjustment... this is an intriguing subject. The factory WSM offer some resolution, aftermarket sources often reveal other options... However. you are still trying to deflect the topic away from the original post....

The 1989 F250 4X4 DOES have caster adjustment .. WTF is your problem?.

1/8th inch toe in?  Funny.. all my specs are in degrees... (yes, I'm being contrary) but your spec is generic. Many front wheel drive cars spec toe OUT as the preferred settlng. the alignment angle "window" can be very large.... how the left side relates to the right side is the important part.

HEUI injectors? The only thing saving your ass is that the "other" website deleted that thread... oh.. it is so easy to forget our pecadillos, isn't it? I recall a Rex that couldn't understand the system... And he 'earned' himself a truck.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Leave it at that... walk away.. "save face" as the Japs would say. Caster, camber, SAI, included angle, set back, thrust angle, scrub radius... how much of this means anything to you without your beloved google? After all it was you that felt the need to google these terms... right?

You are nothing less than amazing... absolutely.


-- Edited by PogoPossum on Sunday 21st of March 2010 03:17:24 PM

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Pogo, if you were such a good mechanic then why did your business fail?






__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

Hey Fella's it's been awhile since someone has brought in an 1989, but I think we can all agree this is the set up you will find on a Ford

As you can see there is no caster adjustment possible without having to REPLACE parts.

I thank you very much.




Attachments
__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

Lots of vehicles require replacing parts in order to perform and adjustment.  This is nothing new.  The only thing that amazes me is how you keep reviving this thread which has made you look soooooooo bad repeatedly.

You got PWNED bitch.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:

Lots of vehicles require replacing parts in order to perform and adjustment.  This is nothing new.  The only thing that amazes me is how you keep reviving this thread which has made you look soooooooo bad repeatedly.



 You got PWNED bitch.



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Status: Offline
Posts: 3417
Date:

I respectfully disagree.  We should have Stoma settle this.

__________________

~ Ford Senior Master Technician

~ 2 "mandatory vacations" from this site for being way too qualified

~ Is America whi... I mean great again yet ???



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1437
Date:

PowerStroker wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  We should have Stoma settle this.




YES............. REX UMNEY HAS DEFINITELY GOT PWNED.



__________________

 

 



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Back pedalling.... no surprise that it is Rex doing it....

Even to the point you will argue with someone that does "this" as part of his livelihood... Replace parts to adjust a steering angle?

Check http://www.spcalignment.com/   NAPA has a full range of alignment aids... Ford has some alignment aids.. there are many work arounds...

And the best you can come up with is "without replacing parts"....

You are right.. it's been a long time since most of us have had to do an alignment on a 1989 anything... However.. some of us know what we are doing and some of us just hate old guys that know what they are doing.

__________________


OUT-OF-HAND

Status: Offline
Posts: 8667
Date:

PogoPossum wrote:

The 1989 F250 4X4 DOES have caster adjustment .. WTF is your problem?.


Hey Old Guy! ^^^ What is that above ^^^

They DO NOT have adjustments! You must retrofit them with diffrent parts to make them adjustable...

You kids need some more kool-aid!


 



__________________

State of Michigan Certified Master Auto Mechanic +2

Specialty Certified Since 1994



RIP - Veteran User

Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Date:

Well, then... you are totally fucked... retrofitting the parts does not make these adjustable... retrofitting the parts IS the adjustment.



__________________
«First  <  1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard